Saturday, April 11, 2009

Decent Wednesday, Sufficient Thursday, Good Friday

Alright, so with it being Easter weekend and all I got to thinking a bit about holidays and trying to make sense of the role they play. Easter for example. It's a celebration of chocolate, and bunnys that somehow have aquired the ability to lay eggs that are more brilliantly colored than any bird could produce. Mmmmm... chocolate! But of course my mind does that crazy thing it does where it gets off and running all over the place, and before long I'm thinking about religion and how it affects people's lives. My story? I was brought up Episcopalian, which I'm told is basically Catholic Lite. Long services, a fair amount of pomp & circumstance, but no confession or incense. It also is a religion, I found out from personal experience, that has a very low tolerance for children who sneak whoopee cushions into Sunday School and then deploy them during a lesson on the commandments. Thou shalt not gas? These days, when I do make it to church, I go to the Unitarian Church in my town or the next town over. I guess what I'm looking for is a sense of community and the freedom to get in touch with my spiritual side without having to stick to a strict script. Here's the thing; I feel I'm a spiritual person. I'm just not convinced that all the things they taught me during Sunday school went down exactly as written. Then I get to thinking of all the different religions in the world, and think that it's no wonder there are problems. When each religion has their own set of beliefs they are convinced are true, it's understandable some might not accept the beliefs of others. But how about this; each religion is absolutely right and true for those who believe it, and there's room in the world for there to be different ways to guide us spiritually. The problems arise when there is no tolerance for other beliefs. That leaves the door open for people to take advantage of those who have put their all into the belief and will do anything for it. Whenever I think about this, I get reminded of the very first Dave Letterman show after 9/11. he came out to do his monologue and basically said something to the effect of how ridiculous it was that people would do such a terrible thing and claim it was in the name of their religion. No religion says it's okay to kill others, but sadly there are those on the planet who have the ability to manipulate believers into justifying the act of flying an airplane into a building or shooting up a clinic. Apart from that, I think that when it comes to beliefs, whatever gets you through the night is alright. If it helps you, and doesn't hurt others, you are on the right track. As for me, I look up at the sky sometimes and talk to my Dad. I have no proof that he hears me, and I have no proof that he doesn't. The important thing is that it keeps him in my heart, and I plan to keep giving the old man updates.
If Easter happens to be a holiday you celebrate, I hope it's a fun one. Save a couple Peeps for me.
-George

4 comments:

  1. Amen.
    St. Peters seems a long time ago, and I still remember the backstabbing and snide remarks from such "christian" residents of our fine town. I was confirmed there when I was 12 (too young I think, to know what I was promising).
    Yesterday, my mom asked if I wanted to go to church with her this morning, and as much as I love her, I declined. I always feel like such a fraud standing there and reciting words I know by heart, but no longer take to heart.
    So instead, I meditate as often as I can, and try to live my life as truthfully and lovingly as I can. The golden rule translates into almost every religion on earth. First, do no harm.
    May your peeps be plentiful Geo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can join David O'Leary...he goes to a Unitarian Church. ;-)

    **I feel I'm a spiritual person. I'm just not convinced that all the things they taught me during Sunday school went down exactly as written.**

    Well, if you kept with your childhood understanding of how "things went down"...then no wonder you are feeling a bit inadequate. People who look at the Biblical teaching of, say, Adam & Eve, and wonder "Gee, I really don't believe in the Garden of Eden".....are stuck on the superficial...and don't bother to understand as an adult the values presented in the Biblical account.

    It doesn't matter if there were 50, 100 or 1000 people ready to stone the adulterer...what was important was Jesus message of forgiveness. Doesn't matter "how it went down"...what matters is that you believe in the values and principles set forth.

    For instance:

    "Judge not, lest you be judged"

    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

    The story of the good Samaritan. Doesn't matter if it actually happened, what the Bible is telling us is to serve one another. Doesn't matter if the story/parable really is a historical account as written.

    Sometimes we get tripped up in things that don't matter. Jesus primarily taught Love and Forgiveness.....unselfishness and service to others.

    **he came out to do his monologue and basically said something to the effect of how ridiculous it was that people would do such a terrible thing and claim it was in the name of their religion.**

    I think it's wrong for Letterman (clearly someone who doesn't value anyone's faith) to lump it all under the heading of "religion".

    There are some things that seperate Christianity from other religions.

    Keep in mind that Christianity and Jesus have always taught selflessness, patience and kindness. And while no human has perfected these....it's something we all strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, "anonymous", I fear you may not have taken away from my post what I had intended. Perhaps I could have been clearer. My point was just that as time goes on, I understand more and more the important role that religion/faith can play in people's lives, and the very clear importance of tolerance. In your response you mentioned the "judge not" thing, and then proceeded to make some very good points, along with some comments that to me sounded pretty judgy. For example - from one paraphrased quote, you accused David Letterman of not valuing others faith. I think if you had seen his actual comments after 9/11 you might have felt just the opposite. You also said you thought I felt "inadequate" (your words), which - if you mean spiritually - I really don't. And if I did feel inadequate, apparently there are several products on the internet that address that.
    Seriously - I'm glad that you get so much out of your faith, and that was what I was hoping to say in my post - that if you choose to follow a faith and it helps you and you believe it's good, then others should not judge you or make you feel wrong for your beliefs. You mentioned that your faith (which is the faith that most of my family follows, by the way) has things that separate it from others, and I think those thing make it right for you, just as someone else might find a right fit from the unique things another religion offers. I choose to believe that you're a good person who didn't mean to make me feel bad, it's just that did take a bit of wind out of my sail to post what I thought were positive comments, and then find out that they weren't taken that way by all. I do appreciate you reading my blog and caring enough to comment. The world needs more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. **In your response you mentioned the "judge not" thing, and then proceeded to make some very good points, along with some comments that to me sounded pretty judgy.**

    The scripture refers to people's salvation (i.e...the final judgment). It does not forbid us from making any judgments at all. i.e..it's going to be sunny, so I will wear shortsleeves. The Craiglist killer is bad. David Letterman makes a lot of comments disparaging people of faith. These are all judgments...but not what the scripture was referring to. "Judge not" doesn't mean you can't have any values, observations or conclusions.

    **You also said you thought I felt "inadequate" (your words),**

    Not you specifically...I meant "you" generally. As in..."When you run in the marathon, you might be tired." Sorry for the inference.

    It was not my intention to make you feel bad. Maybe it's the nature of the internet and comments.... :-(

    ReplyDelete